Ready to move to a new home? Cut down on the stress and chaos with these insanely useful moving tips!
1. Pack an essentials box. Put all of the things you will need right away into this box, like some cooking pots, snacks, trash bags, cleaning supplies, and tools. Have the movers put it onto the truck so it comes off first.
2. Color-code your boxes by room. Then have the movers unload the boxes into their appropriate room. It will save you tons of time!
3. Use soft items next to fragile items. Save on bubble wrap by putting soft items like pillows and stuffed toys around fragile items to keep them from shifting.
4. Don’t forget to defrost the refrigerator. This takes 1-2 days, so do it beforehand or else you’ll have a smelly, wet mess.
5. Photograph your electronic cord. This makes it easier to put them back together again.
6. When taking apart furniture, put any small parts in baggies and tape the baggie to the furniture. This will keep the parts organized and from getting lost.
7. Use storage bins for your seasonal items. This way, you won’t have to ever unpack or pack them again!
8. It is worth it to buy some boxes. You will want to get dish packs, flat screen TV boxes, a mattress box (if the moving company doesn’t give these to you), and probably a wardrobe box or two.
9. Prepare your lawn mower and motorized machines. Moving companies won’t move these until the gas and fuel have been drained! Blades also need to be removed and packed safely.
10. Measure your furniture! Make sure it can get in and out of your old and new home, including staircases, hallways, and doorways.
11. Toilet paper – make sure you’ve got some rolls of TP in your essentials box or you’ll have to make an emergency trip to the store right away.
12. Are the utilities turned on? Call at least 1 month in advance to have the utilities turned on 2-3 days before you move in. Then call before moving day to make sure they actually did get turned on.